Experienced Divorce and Family Law Attorneys in Bethesda, Maryland
Trustworthy guidance when couples end a marriage or terminate a domestic partnership
Spouses who end their marriage need the advice of skilled family law counsel who can protect their assets, secure their financial future and provide for their children. It is easy to get caught up in the emotional anger and frustrations that ending a divorce brings. But anger and hurt will not pay the bills and put a roof on your children’s heads or food in their mouths. Many of the same concerns apply to couples that are separating even though they are not married. Unmarried parents need to look out for the best interests of their children.
At McCabe Russell, PA, our Bethesda divorce and family law attorneys provide calm but firm assistance. We assess your needs and your family situation to work to achieve the best outcome for you and your children. While we understand the broad legal principles of the law, we tailor our representation to address each aspect of your unique family circumstances. Our aim is to help protect you and your family, while helping you get the emotional support you need to move your life forward. We handle complex cases and represent high-asset professionals as well as couples with limited income.
What divorce issues we handle
When possible, we work to arrange amicable agreements about how the assets will be divided, how income and future benefits will be handled, with whom the children will live, whether alimony will be paid and many other questions. When appropriate, we guide parents through alternate dispute methods such as mediation and collaborative divorce. When agreements cannot be reached, our lawyers are experienced litigators who have a strong track record in litigating cases in family court.
Our Bethesda divorce lawyers represent clients in:
- Divorce planning. We explain the grounds for divorce and work to expedite the divorce process while handling financial and family matters.
- Divorce negotiation. We advocate for spouses by working to negotiate overall settlements of property, alimony and family law issues. Many divorce cases are negotiated. Often, some of the issues can be resolved so that only one or a few items need to be litigated.
- Uncontested divorces. Couples without minor children and who have a negotiated settlement agreement can be divorced based on their mutual consent, provided certain procedural requirements are met and there is a hearing.
- High-conflict divorces. We handle the tough divorces — divorces where the spouses contest every issue, put their interests ahead of children and refuse to communicate with each other.
- Equitable distribution. We explain what property is considered marital property and is subject to division. Equitable division means that the split of homes, cars, bank accounts and other assets are based on fairness factors; which means it may not be a 50/50 divide. Division of assets also includes division of debts. We also confirm that your spouse has a valuable business or profession, stocks, bonds, retirements and other valuable assets. We conduct extensive discovery of financial records and ask numerous questions of your spouse to confirm his/her real net worth.
- Pre- and post-nuptial agreements. Pre-nuptial agreements are contracts that dictate how assets and other family law matters will be handled after a divorce. Post-nuptial agreements address the same issues in a contract – but are drafted after the marriage starts.
- Alimony agreements and orders. Alimony is payments of support from one spouse to the other spouse. Alimony can be temporary, rehabilitative or indefinite.
No matter what your specific needs are, we help you craft a divorce strategy that works for you, your children and your future.
Family law services from the firm you can trust
Divorce is challenging enough for spouses without children. Married couples with children and unwed parents need to decide who is going to raise and care for the child upon separation. Decisions must be made about where the child will live. We advise parents that the best interests of the child come first and align the parent’s interests with those of the child. We provide skilled counsel in these family law matters:
- Child custody. Parents need to decide who will have legal custody (make the big decisions such as medical care and schooling) and who will have physical custody (where the child will stay and who will handle the daily responsibility of raising the child).
- Child support. You must determine if the parent without physical custody will pay the other parent financial support, usually in the form of a regular check, to provide for the child’s needs.
- Modifying existing agreements. Child custody and support agreements and orders can be modified if there is a significant change of circumstances. Relocation is a possible change in circumstance if it is justified.
- Proving paternity. We advocate for mothers who identify the father and for fathers who want to prove they are biologically the child’s parent, by formally requesting that the named parent take a paternity test or by contesting the need for a test.
- Protective and peace orders. Violence is inexcusable. We immediately demand that spouses, parents, neighbors, strangers and others who commit violent acts or threaten violent acts be ordered to stay away from you and your children. We also represent the accused.
- Adoption. Our Bethesda family law attorneys help step-parents, LGBTQ couples, married couples, minors and disabled birth parents adopt minor children.
- Best interest attorney and child advocates. Our attorneys serve as legal counsel for children during family disputes.
- Parenting coordination. A parenting coordinator helps parents prepare a plan and manage the daily logistical and communication issues for their children – after the divorce or separation.
Heather McCabe is a certified parenting coordinator, and both founding partners are qualified to advocate for children when necessary.
Assistance for same-sex couples seeking a divorce in Maryland
Since the Supreme Court case of Obergefell v. Hodges held that same-sex couples were entitled to marry, our lawyers have been helping LGBTQ clients address many of the same problems that married couples do, including the reality of divorce and accompanying issues such as alimony, child custody, child support and property division. If there are underlying challenges which arise from a previously-unrecognized relationship between you and your spouse, we have the skills and experience to address those as well, either during negotiations or through a proactive litigation strategy.
Types of Cases We Handle
Our Bethesda attorneys handle a variety of cases, including:
|Divorce||Asset Division||Alimony||Child Custody|
|Child Support||Same-Sex Divorce||Same-Sex Child Custody/Support|
Contact our Bethesda family law firm for reputable legal counsel
McCabe Russell, PA helps Bethesda families, couples, friends and neighbors make the transition to a new life after a marriage or relationships has ended. Our Bethesda divorce and family lawyers work with families from all backgrounds and interests. We protect your rights and advocate for your financial, personal and emotional interests. To make an appointment with our attorneys, please call 443-812-1435 or fill out our contact form.
6701 Democracy One Plaza Loop,
Bethesda, Maryland, 20817
Phone: (301) 888-6945